Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Day Off!

I had a good day off yesterday. Of course, the obligatory pass out on the sofa, waking up oblivious to my surrounding occured... although I at least had a productive day.

For lunch, I decided to give Mama Maria's italian lunch buffet a shot. Katie and I dine at Mama Maria's fairly regularly... and it is very good. The buffet isn't huge like a Calabash or Super Crazy Chinese... but it is tasty. I filled up on Plates of spaghetti, a salad, tons of garlic knots, and a couple slices of pizza. Very tasty, and very filling! Mama Maria's seems to be catching on with the cycling culture as well... there were quite a few cyclists in the room. How often to you get to talk about the Giro with another cycling fan? Morris Elam and I speculated on Basso, Ullrich, Guitierrez, Simoni, and of course Cunego's lack of prosperity. Good times.

After lunch, I switched out chainrings on the Klein, got a haircut, and returned home just in time to see the UPS guy dropping off my new rear disc wheel (not that I'm a great TT'ist... but I'll pretend). After stretching out the S3 tubular it was nap time! I passed out HARD on the sofa... only to be awakened suddenly by the phone ringing and Katie getting home at the same time. By now it's 4:00, she has errands to run... and I've got a bike to ride. Unfortunately my power nap was just long enough to get to the deep REM sleep... meaning that I was incredibly groggy. No problem... a little Rock Star Juiced (70% real fruit juice!)... and I was partying like a rock star.

Time to ride... a Tuesday off means I can make the Famous Tuesday Night Ride in downtown Roanoke! I've only done the ride a handful of times... it's definately a lot of fun; a good route indeed. I figured to maximize my workout quality... I'd ride the fixed gear. I've been riding a fixed gear for a while now... but last night was the first group ride I've taken it on. Of course Bernie Sanders showed up... meaning I should've taken my Klein with gears and the ability to coast. In a nutshell... the ride was a blast, you can really fly up all but the steepest climbs on a fixed gear... but never get a chance to really rest on the downhills.

Back to the Giro. Looks like Basso all but locked up the Giro today. I guess it must've been too cold for Danielson today; I would've liked to have seen him move up in the GC... not down!

Is anybody from back East planning on doing Mountains of Misery this weekend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»