Monday, January 30, 2006

Watts what you say.

If you haven't gotten a power meter yet... go get one. Although I've been using a power meter for over a year now, this year I am using it much more effectively. Almost every ride so far in my Base 1, 2, and 3 has been downloadable; I even have the extra bike mount on my fixed gear so I can download the ride data minus the power. So far I've noticed a pretty dramatic increase in average power output in my zone 2... I've essestially gone from averaging 185-195 watts to 220+ watts per ride (while riding longer!). With the use of the power meter, I've been able to get the most out of my workouts; focusing on quality over quantity.

Speaking of quality, the weather has been top notch lately. Yesterday was no exception. Aside from being one of the rare days in which I've been able to ride in the middle of the day (as well as ride with a fully glycogen charged liver!), the weather was beautiful, I actually got to ride with bare arms for a bit and feel the wind in my hair ( no hat or nuthin'!).

So while out enjoying my ride, I get stopped by a Montgomery County deputy. Great... Well, actually I had already stopped at a truck stop and he just wanted to talk about bikes. Louie just picked up a Madone SL at the Blacksburg shop and just loves bikes. I had a chuckle when he said my bike looks like it's set up for climbing; only because it's not that light, and it's set up as a crit bike. Sometimes simple things make me laugh.

In other news, I'm hoping to make a trip home to the coast this weekend, and meet up with the team (Casey Auto Groups/JRVS) for the Sunday morning ride in Williamsburg. It's sure to be a shock to the system as I heard from Cam that they did 50 miles in 2:14... I guess they forgot it's January.

that's all for now... maybe more later.

No comments: