Thursday, March 23, 2006

Agents of Good Roots

Did anybody else have trouble sleeping last night? I sure did... I slept like a rock for a few hours, and the tossed and turned for the remainder. I decided to procrastinate on my workout today... instead of riding the trainer doing sub-thershold intervals this morning, I'll do them tonight. Not really looking forward to it... but it's a trainer specific workout. I'd love to have a trainer with built in programmable power so that I could set it at the right output with no deviation. But I suppose riding the trainer with a PT is better than nothing! I've just got to keep a keen eye on the power output. We have a CompuTrainer here at work that would make a great tool; sometime I'll make use of it. I look forward to running the SpinScan sometime soon; I scored pretty well last time, and hopefully well show improvement next time. I finally feel like I'm getting smooth on the bike again... I was a little rough for a couple of weeks.

I rediscovered on of the greatest bands ever a couple weeks ago. I've never forgotten about them; I just had not been relying on CD's while driving. Agents of Good Roots. That's all there is to say. One of, if not the best and most talents acts to come out of Virginia. Unfortunately they disbanded a few years ago. They were briefly signed to RCA, with some success on Modern Rock and Adult Alternative Contemporary with two completely different songs. It was their live show that really made AGR. Completely different from night to night, with no telling what to expect from show to show. I know I must have seen them at least 80, if not 100 times... never once was the show the same. It's not like some Phish or Panic thing either... they weren't really a jam band, although it was easy to label them as so. They were very much a jazz induced rock band, and definitely not strangers to improv. The amount of musical talent on stage was astonishing, and very complimentary... it was musical magic in the making. Their final album, recorded for RCA but independently released, was a definite show piece for what they could achieve. Needle and Thread is amazing, "Shotdown" brings back memories of Wednesday nights at Alley Katz... I've NEVER heard a band capture the live feeling of a song in the studio! Simply amazing. I often though Agents of Good Roots were at least 5 years ahead of their time, listening to Needle and Thread, I found myself thinking, "This stuff is pretty relevent now!" Not that their music was ever irrelevant (although a stint with a different bass player made them more a jam band briefly)... but I think the album could be successful finally in 2006; it was recorded in late 1999. If you see a used copy at a music store or online, snag it.

Where'd you get that vibe?

No comments: