Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas Ideas for the Cyclist

I've been thinking about compliling a list of suggested gifts for cyclists. Not for me though, these are all products that I use and bestow the official "Frank the Tank Seal of Approval" to. The "FTSA" was an idea intially kicked around in the summer/fall of '04 as an inside joke of sorts to the BikeBeat webmaster Chris N. Nevertheless, I have once again dusted off the idea and officially making it a real thing. For my initial list, here are some Stocking Stuffers: (only requirement being that they fit in a stocking)

Craft Pro Longsleeve baselayer - This lightweight wonder is great in cold temperatures. For instance, I used this with great success on this past Saturday's epic "I got sleeted on ride". The Pro baselayer, a Nike Dri-fit jersey, and a Craft Thermal bike jacket kept my upper body cozy and comfortable for the duration of the ride (except after stopping and starting for a snack break, but that doesn't count). For REALLY cold days, the Craft Active Wool baselayer should be considered.

Ziploc "Snack Size" bags - Simply put, just the right size for a handful of fig newtons, or a cell phone/ID/money clip. If you choose these as a stocking stuffer... at least put something in a couple bags of some value (be it nutrional, monetary, or intrinsic).

Craft Tempest Gloves - Another shameless plug for Craft. For the previous 10 years, I'd been relying on some well-worn Pearl Izumi Pittard thermal gloves. My PI's unfortunately reached a tragic fate as I saw them blow off the top of my car at 50mph. Life goes on... recently I discoverd the Tempest gloves; I like them a lot. They fit a hair loose, leaving room for liners on the really cold days, and feature windblock material on the back of the hand for added cool-weather coolness.

Trek Disco Tech Tail Light - An affordable tailight with loads of visibility. This thing is getting A LOT of use this time of year.

Bontrager Gel Cork Tape - I'm using this on my road bikes and mountain bike. This stuff is great! Wraps easily, comes with plenty of length for making it nice n' cushy. Plus it's tacky not adhesive backed like other tape. Properly wrapped I've had no unravelling problems.

That's all for now... I'll update the other categories soon enough, and may tack a few extra stuffers on this list. The Craft items can be ordered through ~99.9% of U.S. bicycle retailers. The Trek and Bontrager items are available EXCLUSIVELY at your local Trek dealer. Tis the season to tip your mechanic!

No comments: