Monday, December 05, 2005

What a Buzzkill/Bi-polar weather

I lost both of the Bontrager Buzzkills in my handlebar today. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something orange zip by; it didn't faze me. If you haven't tried them, try them out... they're pretty cheap, and may only have a placebo effect... but so what? I'm not a weight weenie anyways. This weekend's ride schedule featured a couple 2.5 hour rides. For some reason, I rode the same route two days in a row. However, they were like two completely different rides. Saturday was chilly, and there was rain in the forecast Saturday night. I got started shortly before 3pm with the temperature in the upper 30's. No biggie. As I trudged up the very long false flat climb up Bradshaw road, the temperature dropped, and the precipitation began. Sleet, very tiny sleet... just in time for a loooong gradual downhil at 30+mph (gotta keep the watts and HR in the right zone!). Needless to say, I was relieved to have been wearing my clear glasses at the time. As I reached the midway point of the ride, the sleet was at its heaviest, as I turned back towards town on US460, the temperature began to rise a bit; as a result, I was looking at mixed precipitation. Remarkably I was able to stay quite warm Saturday, with the exception of my uncovered ears. I enjoyed the ride, and returned home happy
Sunday's ride was very different, instead of the 30's, the temperature hovered in the 50's. Quite a change, also, Bradshaw Rd. had a pretty nasty headwind the ENTIRE way (which isn't that unusual). As I mentioned earlier, I lost my Buzzkills; next time I'll try setting them in with hairspray. It was strange only needing kneewarmers, armwarmers, and a vest (I used a Craft S-3 Baselayer with windblock in place of the vest), as it has been pretty cold here the past few weeks, and almost all of my riding of late has been either early in the morning or late at night. As I neared town, my legs began to ache... something I'm not really used to, but a result of my first week of base coupled with weight work. So far I remain motivated and very optimistic. That's all for now, more later if I have time.

No comments: