Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Trying to Stay Healthy & More Gift Ideas

After just a few days of base training in the elements, crud has decided to take up residence in my lungs. My solution? Back off just a bit, increase the vitamin uptake, use my bronchial inhalers, and some decongestant to knock it out. I hope to be back outdoors and on two wheels tomorrow morning! So far lately the weather has been COLD... add on top of that a windchill... just have to stay motivated. In other news, we've been able to revise my training program a bit. My intial first planned peak was a bit early, with news of the rescheduling of the Casey Auto Crit, I can now fit three solid base periods in. Watch out.

As for more gifts ideas, here are a few more options:

Oakley Zero sunglasses - First seen in the 2004 Tour, I decided that I needed to check them out. Excellent for timetrialing, as they have no rims to block your field of vision. I like usuing them for all sorts of riding/racing though. They have excellent peripherial vision, the usual Oakley optics, and SUPERLIGHT & COMFORTABLE. Want to be more svetle, go for the Zero S's. I like them better than my tried and true M Frames.

Cycleops Power Tap SL - Power to the people! This handy device is a training cyclists' best tool. Measure, power, speed, cadence, heartrate, and kilojoules... then download the ride to your computer to dissect your ride. Takes training to the next level. The upgrades over the Power Tap Pro are enough to warrant the higher price. Gone are the drive side loose bearing, in their place are high quality cartridge bearings. Aside from being lighter weight, the unit is much more water/weather resistant. I have my laced to a Mavic Open Pro rim. Other great options include the new DT Swiss rims, or the Bontrager Race X Lite Aero. Of course you can also have Zipp or Nimble build you a sweet set of Carbon race wheels with one of these babies too (Serious $$$$$).

LeMond Fillmore - Get 'em a nice fixed gear that feels like a road bike. The Fillmore features tradition LeMond road geometry couple with horizontal dropouts, plus front and rear brakes. Hardcore fixed gear riders may turn their noses at rear brakes, but I'm not ashamed of mine (especially hitting 45+ mph on Sugarloaf Mountain). The stock gearing my be a bit tall; I've got mine set up with a 39x16 (~64"). Also of note, the Bontrager Select track wheels feature cartridge bearings and the new Bontrager outboard bearing cranks. I've even gone so far to set up my extra Power Tap wiring harness so I can download and keep track of my fixie training rides.

Craft Thermal Bike Jacket - Nice, warm, and red. I've used in below freezing and in the low 40's. Couple this with the Craft baselayers in the stocking, and your cyclist will have an exceptionally comfortable time training in the cold. I run mine with a Craft baselayer and a jersey underneath. A big bonus are the four rear pockets (one zippered), combined with my jersey gives me plenty of storage space for long rides.

More to come later!

No comments: