Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Doh!!!!!!

I thought about staying indoors and riding the trainer this morning. In hindsight, I wish I had. Windy days and intervals don't mix, but I was determined to attempt them nevertheless; itt was also pretty chilly this morning (after having a taste of 70+ degrees you don't want to go back!). I'll go right ahead and admit it: I took a spill this morning.

Most mornings I begin my ride with a decent from the neighborhood that features an off-camber (waaaay off camber) switchback with quite a bit of drop. Most mornings I try to see just how far I can lean the bike over. This morning I pushed the bike waaaaaay over... I think a piece of gravel decided to ruin my physics experiment in cornering. I slid a bit... ruining my team bibs in the process (at least they weren't my brand new ones!), watched the PT CPU pop off and slide... and watch the Klein slide right into the curb. I briefly assessed the damage, picked up the bike... turned around andlimped home. Total damage: scuffed saddle (a hard to find old school Concor Light!), scuffed shifter (no biggie, I knew it was inevitable), popped out a bzzzkill (no worries... it slides right back in), road rash, a sore elbow, and a bruised ego. Fortunately the ego will bounce back... and I'll have my finish line tenacity restored.

For a while my day seemed determined to nose dive into some sort of kamikaze mission. Fortunately, total disaster was avoided. Things were pretty busy at the shop early on.. meaning that my service work for the day was having to take a backseat (fortunately I was able to get everything done). Also, I blew up an inner tube fore the first time in a loooooong time; for a moment all I heard was ringing in the ears.

It's nearing closing time, and I'm looking forward to going home, seeing Katie and the boys (Target & Walker), eating dinner, and then finally giving this morning's workout a shot on the trainer. We'll see.

54x11 Sunday?!

No comments: