Monday, April 10, 2006

HCC

The Hampton Roads Cycling Classic kicked off and wrapped up this weekend. A windy April weekend played host to the events this year (quite the contrast from last year's oppressively hot July event). Saturday featured a 16 mile time trial in Smithfield; while Sunday featured the Conte's Classic (formerly the Ford Classic) in downtown Norfolk at Waterside.

Katie and I arrived in Yorktown shortly after 1am Saturday morning... I needed to be up at 5:30 in order to eat and get to to Smithfield on time. A little groggy, I finally got to bed at about 1:45... set the alarm, but didn't turn it on. Amazingly I awoke at 5:40, still groggy, but impressed I woke up without an alarm. I showered, dressed, top off the gas tank, then hit the McDonald's drivethru for a Nusbaumer breakfast (hot cakes).

I arrived in Smithfield in record timing... it really is amazing how much time is saved when 80% of traffic lights are green. I expected to be TT'ing in the rain, but fortunately the weather held out, and it was windy. Very windy... crosswinds, headwinds... more headwinds, and only ONE short stretch with a tailwind. I'm glad that I didn't ride a disc wheel (not that I own one)... I don't think they provided a significant advantage. I was also glad that my rear Reynolds Stratus with a hole n the rim held up (I'm not using it for mass starts... so don't worry).

After warming up and gettig ready, I was reminded of a lesson that I know all so well (and usually avoid these situations). My TT helmet (a Louis Garneau Rocket) had been stored in a closet since September... I took it out of its bag to find the shell slightly deformed and the straps extremely out of whack. Scrambling, I tried to get it wearable, only to have a 7 inch piece of the strap dangling. I wrapped that around the other straps and was on my way to the start.

I arrived late to the start, still putting my gloves on. They told me to come to a stop, put a foot down, and go. So I did. For the first 200 meters of the TT, I was putting my gloves on and making all neccessary adjustments. I'm not 100% sure how late I was to the start, or exactly how much time I lost fumbling around after the start. In sum, I don't think it made a huge difference, as I'm not a great time trialer (although I did a decent Mill Mt. TT last year); so a win wasn't lost here. I ended up 13th... snagging a couple of BAR points.

I awoke Sunday and turned on the local news for the weather... it's remarkable how much can change overnight: the day was going to be cooler and windier. I got there early, relaxed, warmed up... and was ready to go. The Norfolk course is tough and technical, a good candidate for a breakaway. In each of the races I watched (Women's 1/2/3&4, Cat 4, Men's 1/2/3) and our race, a breakaway succeeded. Very impressive when you consider the windy conditions.

I was disappointed in my legs not showing up 100% for the day, but all things considered, it's alright. Early on Chris took a solo flyer off the front for a few laps. I moved up to the front, determined to cover any chase attempts. There were several attempts, instigated by Seigler Imports and Hilton's Stephen DeLisle. My goal was to latch onto any of these attempts, hopefully bridging up to Chris, creating a big break with at least two JRVS/Casey Auto Group riders in it without me chasing Chris down. It was a good break attempt, and Chris at least got a prime out of it. Maybe next time it'll work out better in our favor.

Eventually a break of 5 got clear of the field in our race, and a solo rider chased in purgatory for 6th. Eventually the gap became insurmountable, and we gave up chase. The last few laps, I was hurting pretty bad, I really wanted the field sprint, but unfortunately could not force my way into the position I wanted (Ie I started the sprint from waaay back).

Chris and I shared a razor thin line betwen a rider moving over and a curb/sidewalk that jutted out into the lane. Both of us shared the same logic... either brake and coast to the line, or coast through between the rider and the curb with zero margin for error. We chose the curb line... interrupting our soon to be sprint (our pedals would have clipped the curb)... then starting the sprint really early. In the end we didn't catch the guys with a clear line to the finsh, but we did pass quite a few. I came across the line in 10th with Chris, Ken, Dave Olds, and Dave Rushing in tow. It was frustrating not to have at least one man in the break... but with every race I try to learn at least one lesson. Lesson learned; a kamikaze effort would've been approrpiate in the case to get into the break (for anybody on the team); even if I couldn't hang... then Casey Auto Group would've had a shot at victory. I was glad to have Rushing in our race, he's a vet racer with a lot of experience, and pointed out some things we could've done differently in the end that would've ensure at least a little more success.

Rest week, the home for Easter... see you all at Waller Mill for the ride.

No comments: