Tuesday, April 18, 2006

satisfied.

I'm satisfied with this past weekend. A little disappointed in missing the break that rode away on KOA. I was there... all I needed was a couple extra turns of the crank... and I would've been there. "KOA Hill" is an ugly monster of a climb near the end of the JRVS training ride. It's ugly, it opens up with a false flat, then a steep wall, and finishes with a relatively mild grade to the top.

Anyways, the ride was pretty good on Sunday. Fairly well rested, I was ready to roll. I told myself I'd ride angry... but try to save some anger for the end. The roll out started well and steady... heavy with conversation. Although Todd Helmick was absent, there were still a few heavy-hitters: Cam, Stephen DeLisle, Chris, Dave Rushing, et al. Overall, I was aggressive, but not stupid. Usually my efforts early on cost me dearly by the time we get to "Stonehouse Hill"... but I was wise to monistor my efforts closely. I rode Stonehouse aggressively... hitting the base of the climb with Cam and Stephen, then launching a few soft attacks once the group reintegrated in order to move up the climb (and to regain my tenacity of climbs!). For reference, by "soft attacks"... I intended to get a little off the front, but never try to stick it. Nevertheless, I was happy to arrive at the top of Stonehouse in the group; the past few efforts were marred by my lack of fast paced rides: I was ready this time.

After Stonehouse, we slowed the pace a bit before picking things back up through the "Roubaix section". The Roubaix section features horrible pavement and twisty roads... my kind of roads. Roubaix was fun. Next up was KOA.

KOA broke up the ride pretty well. Cam, Stephen, and Chris got away with a gap. A small group of us gave chase. We were able to organize a rotating paceline... slowly bringing them back. Eventually the pulls at 30mph began to wear down the group... leaving Dave Rushing and I taking longer pulls at the front. As we were on the verge of catching them... an old Caddy pulled right out in front of us... forcing us to all but come to a complete stop. After the caddy, Dave Rushing and I broke away to give chase. We were able to close the gap to just a few seconds when the sprint started. Cam took the sprint easily, but we never caught them... we just barely missed the catch and were waaaay too gassed to sprint anyways. After the sprint, we reunited... crusing back to the Waller Mill parking lot under and umbrella of conversation.

After the ride, Cam was nice and bought Chris and I smoothies. We hung out at the BikeBeat in the 'burg briefly with Chris and Steve (who finished with the main group). I dropped off Cam... then swung by the Beat in Kiln Creek about arrangements for this Saturday. After that, I helped my Dad move some firewood... ate Easter dinner with the family... then hit the road for Salem (leaving Katie behind!).

Peaking?

No comments: