Friday, February 17, 2006

max spin!

I actually got to enjoy the warm weather this morning. It was great... despite the 30 mph wind. Actually the wind worked to my advantage. Fridays are typically my "max spin effort days", meaning that I ride at a very high cadence for a period of 30-45 minutes; usually completed on my fixed gear. For 36 minutes I rode at an easy effort (although low cadence) straight into the wind. Fortunately the route is about as flat as it gets around here, so hills weren't too much of a problem or concern. While I hovered in the 35-90 rpm range heading out, I was able to maintain 120+ coming back, with long stretches of 140+ rpm. It was perhaps the best max spin session I've had this year... if not ever.

On a side note, I just about had my elbow clipped by a car going about 55 mph. Fortunately I was able to catch up to him at the light. I remained calm, and just let him now he almost hit me... and that perhaps he should refrain from cellular activity while riding. Once again, I must stress that I remained calm... no yelling, no cursing... I just wanted to let the driver know for his own good.

Other than that it's been a typical day. I've started rebuilding my time trial bike; I'm in no hurry at all, but it needs to be done eventually. Seat height and setback look to remain the same; although I've got a slightly longer stem to start out with and a different bar angle... we'll see what happens. As for TT'ing it, that's not going to be a focus this year. I still hope to put in some good results this season; however I am not anticipating any TT specific training. The Mill Mountain TT will be an aim for me (even though I don't like climbing)... it's a short (i.e. realistic) climb here in my own back yard; although I may have to go for a high placing at the Natural Bridge TT in April... we'll see.

Congrats to Ken for the upgrade to 3... hope to be there soon.

No comments: